Blogs are an essential marketing tool, but simply having one on your company’s website is not enough.
To draw readers and build brand credibility, you need to consistently publish quality content that drives readers to come back for more.
After spending the past couple years blogging, along with 25 years of publishing experience, I can tell you that blogging content worth reading is a steady commitment of time and energy. It’s also not easy.
So before publishing a single online keystroke, ask yourself: Do you have what it takes to blog quality content?
Here is my list of the characteristics of effective bloggers. Effective bloggers are:
- writers who enjoy writing and can express themselves clearly. Sounds obvious doesn’t it? If you don’t like to write, your product will show it. Therefore, for the sake of your sanity, do not blog.
- experts. Any idiot can cut and paste material from other blogs and re-package it into blogs. You, however, confidently know your stuff and can offer original content. You are also an expert at knowing your audience (click here) and understanding their needs (click here).
- critical and creative thinkers. Effective bloggers are constantly thinking. You think while sleeping in an unending quest for better solutions and approaches and/or understanding and perspective.
- curious. You watch TV with you tablet to learn more about actors, plots and topics.
- readers. And I don’t just mean Internet surfing. You read books about topics that have nothing to do with work because you want to learn.
- ideas people. When you attend events, you unwittingly go from small talk to substantive issues within a two-sentence conversation. You thrive on applying concepts from other disciplines to introduce innovative solutions to another.
- disciplined. Earning online traction requires consistently producing new content at least once a week.
- thick skinned. You can handle constructive disagreement online for the world to see.
- givers. You do not mind contributing useful information to help others and understand that sharing really means caring about your audience.
- personalities. There’s no boresville because you take chances and engage in an interesting manner.
Of course, great bloggers have other characteristics as well. What characteristics would you add?
Like what you see? Then follow me!